Do you think that you are the only person to stuff up your life?
Life sucks much of the time, especially when you are young and lacking in life experience.
When you are young, you are bold and brazen, ready to change the world and then what happens? You get hooked up on drugs for a quick buzz and that ends up with you in rehab. Or you catch an std and never want to have sex ever again ( maybe not quite). Or in the passion of a sexual encounter you thought grabbing a condom wasn’t quite the stuff romance is made of, so you got pregnant. I could go on but you get the point.
I am sure you have many woeful tales you could tell me. I’ve done quite a few things myself that I am ashamed of too. But if you want to make a success of your life you have to stuff up sometime or else you’d never learn anything.
Anyway enough of stuffing up. What’s more to the point, once we’ve stuffed it, how can we unstuff it?
36 Powerful ways to Unstuff your Life
- Ditch your past, stop looking back on your past stuff ups and look ahead to your future ones, you’ll have plenty don’t worry about that.
- Ditch telling your personal victim stories and start telling your new success stories. No one wants to be around you if you are always whingeing.
- Find out what turn’s you on and take steps to achieve it. This could be study towards a new dream job. It could be quitting your job and starting your own business. Only you can know what you really want to do with your life, just stop making excuses and do it.
- Grow a rhinocerous skin. You will need to toughen up when you deal with people who want to pull you down from your impending successes.
- Put a warm woolly vest over your heart to protect you from painful relationships. And if you are prone to picking relationships that are painful, stop doing it and get out of them fast.
- Learn to play. Play games. Play sports. Play with younger siblings. Play for your sanity. Life is too short not to play.
- Make friends with unlikely people. When I was still at school I visited an elderly couple in their seventies in a social service program. I have never forgotten their love and kindness to me when I needed it.
- Reach out to help others who are finding it tough, for one day you will be rewarded in abundance.
- If you screw up, admit it, apologise for it and move on.
- Be real. Be who you are. Don’t pretend to be other than who you are.
- Stop putting the needs of others above your own, make them equal to your own. You are important and it’s about time you recognised the fact.
- Take a good hard look at your life every 6 months. If you are not happy with your life as it stands, do what you need to do to change it.
- Get up early in the morning. If you cannot get up, buy an alarm. Early risers achieve much success in their life.
- Get a good nights sleep. And the old saying ‘ Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise’ is true.
- Get out of your head. Step out into the world. Don’t spend all your time working at your computer or on your ipad. Get into the real world and talk to real people.
- Ring your mother, she would love to hear your voice. If she criticises you or puts you down, tell her that you will only ring her if she shows you some respect. If all you get is verbal abuse then don’t ring again.
- Talk to your father about how his day has been. Again any put downs and you’re out of there. You are not a child anymore and you do not have to put up with shit.
- Treat your partner or spouse as you would your best friend.
- Go take a class in mindfulness meditation. It will serve you well for the rest of your life.
- Take classes in personal development. They are not just for the shy and introverted. They are for us all to be the best that we can be.
- Take a public speaking class, even if you never intend to public speak again. The confidence that you receive by attempting this will put you on a high for years.
- Stop looking for greener pastures. Whatever is important in your life is happening right here and now and if it’s not make it happen.
- Psychotherapy is not for mental misfits, if you are seeking answers about yourself and life go and get on the couch.
- Enjoy an active sex life. If it is not working out as you would want, talk to your partner and seek professional help.
- When you make a decision, act on it. There is no such thing as right or wrong decisions. If you want to change your decision down the track that is your priority.
- Do not be afraid of making mistakes. You can only learn from them. And you will never know if they were mistakes or not if you do not make them.
- You have much talent, discovering it is the fun part.
- Be enthusistic in everything you do, even the washing up. There is merit in everything that you do.
- Follow your passions.What are you passionate about? Would you like to play the guitar or sing with a band? Maybe you would like to travel to foreign places? What ever your passion is, you owe it to yourself to follow it.
- Take time away from the busyness of your life to find a space where there is peace and solitude. A place where you can get in touch with your inner self or your soul.
- Plant a garden. Grow your own organic food and flowers. Get your hands dirty. Be in touch with the earth.
- Laugh often. Keep a joke folder and share your jokes with your friends. Laughter is great for stress and a tonic for days when you need a lift.
- Walk or run daily. Exercise your body and your mind will feel refreshed.
- Enjoy your work, if you do not try to find work that you do love, or re -skill in a different area.
- If you find that you are in danger of stuffing up your life again, take responsibility for your actions, forgive yourself and carry on regardless.
- Surround yourself with positive people who will encourage you even when you are down.